Aquacare/Fitness Forum Physical Therapy offers programs to treat vestibular and non-vestibular balance and dizziness disorders. Vestibular programs are designed based upon the patient’s vestibular dysfunction. Treatments often include compensatory techniques for postural and gaze stability. Treatment may also include repositioning techniques for vertigo. Strategies will be provided to manage symptoms of vertigo, dizziness and imbalance to improve quality of life. Programs are individualized and may include exercises for gait, static and dynamic balance, strengthening, and eye-head coordination. Treatments are designed to maximize remaining vestibular function and retrain balance reactions to prevent falls. In addition, home exercise programs are often provided to promote long term self-management and prevention of vestibular and imbalance symptoms.
Individuals with the following diagnoses may benefit from vestibular balance rehabilitation therapy (VBRT):
- Post-Concussion Syndrome
- Acute or Chronic Unilateral Vestibular Loss/Weakness
- Vestibular Neuritis
- Bilateral Vestibular Loss/Weakness
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Migraine Related Motion Sickness
- Acoustic Neuroma
- Abnormal gait
- Frequent Falls
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
Benefits of the Program
An individualized treatment approach helps patients:
- Decrease or eliminate vertigo symptoms.
- Improve the function of the remaining vestibular system.
- Improve gait and postural stability.
- Improve eye-head coordination (gaze stability).
- Decrease the likelihood of falling through fall prevention tips and strategies.
- Increase flexibility, range of motion, and strength.
- Increase general activity levels and return to normal lifestyles.
- Understand the vestibular system and its role in balance.
Aquacare offers FREE screenings with our vestibular specialists. The physical therapy program is covered by most insurances with a prescription from a physician. For additional information, a tour of our facility, or to schedule an appointment, please call an Aquacare office near you!